While often overlooked, beets have a variety of uses in the kitchen. Beets are a nourishing addition to many dishes. Beet greens are packed with vitamins A, C, and K. The beet roots are a good source of potassium and folate. They also contain iron, magnesium, and some B vitamins. They also contain phytochemicals and antioxidants. These play a role in reducing inflammation and decreasing the risk of heart disease. Check out all of the different things you can do with beets.
Beet greens are a perfect addition to salads.
Sautéed beet greens can be used in place of spinach or chard.
Beets are crispy and juicy. They can be added to salad for some extra crunch.
Roasted Beets can also be enjoyed on their own or as a side.
Pickling beets is an excellent way to preserve them, and they taste delicious.
Beet juice can be used as a natural food coloring.
Information gathered & adapted from: https://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/0220p26.shtml
Roasted Beet and Fig Salad
2 fresh beets, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
6 figs, washed and quartered
8 oz mixed greens
3 oz crumbled feta cheese
salt, to taste
1/2 cup blackberries
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp honey
1/2 cup olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Arrange beets in a single layer on one baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 40 minutes, flipping at halfway.
2. Place figs on second baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
3. For the dressing, place blackberries and balsamic vinegar in saucepan and bring to a boil. Smash the berries with a fork and lower heat. Reduce to about 1/2 cup. Gently stir in honey.
4. Strain the berry vinegar reduction with a fine mesh strainer into a small bowl. Let cool for 15 minutes. Whisk in olive oil. Salt and pepper if desired.
5. To assemble, place mixed greens on a plate and top with beets, figs, and feta. Drizzle with vinaigrette dressing.
Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
Nutrition Information per Serving: 32 grams total fat, 6.6 grams of saturated fat, 29.6 grams carbohydrate, 5 grams fiber, 5.4 grams protein, 373.4 milligrams sodium, 518.4 milligrams potassium, 23.9 grams sugar
Recipe adapted from: