Staying active during winter months is challenging enough. Adding a pandemic makes it even more difficult. Exercise is important for physical and mental health. Movement is also a natural mood booster. Be creative and flexible. This will help you stay active while keeping socially distant.
Outdoor activities such as walking, hiking, and bike riding can be convenient. Take a stroll around your neighborhood. If you are looking for a new trail, check out one of these: Explore Rhode Island’s Blueways and Greenways.
Indoor activity is more challenging, but not impossible. Set an alarm to remind yourself to take regular movement breaks. Turn on some music and have a dance party. Try a Zoom yoga class. Look up exercise videos on YouTube. Get creative, but most importantly, have fun!
Information gathered & adapted from: https://www.health.state.mn.us/communities/physicalactivity/covid19.html
Sweet Potato and Ginger Soup
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 pounds sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 large onion, diced
1 Tbsp butter
1 tsp brown sugar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
4 cups vegetable broth (or more for a thinner consistency)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oil over medium-high heat in large saucepan.
2. Add sweet potato and onion. Stir frequently and cook until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to low and add butter, brown sugar, and garlic. Continue cooking for another 10 minutes.
4. Add ginger and nutmeg and cook until fragrant. Then add vegetable broth and cook until sweet potatoes are tender.
5. Transfer soup to a blender and puree until smooth (you can also use an immersion blender). Take care to hold the cover down firmly on the blender to avoid burns.
6. Return soup to saucepan and add salt and pepper. Heat through and then serve.
Optional: Add a dash of cayenne pepper for a little kick.
Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
Nutrition Information per Serving: 268.7 calories, 10 grams total fat, 2.9 grams of saturated fat, 42.2 grams carbohydrate, 5.8 grams fiber, 3.9 grams protein, 750.8 milligrams sodium, 693 milligrams potassium, 11.1 grams sugar
Recipe adapted from: