What’s the Deal with Collagen?
- For skin. CL found Trunature Healthy Skin Verisol Collagen capsules and Besha Inc. Collagen Peptides powder to be the best. Both contain the ingredient Verisol which has shown a modest improvement in wrinkles after eight weeks. Verisol is sourced from pigs, so keep this in mind if you have dietary restrictions.
- For joints. CL choose Healthy Origins Natural UC-II as their top pick, This supplement comes in capsule form and is thought to help temper immune reactions that cause inflammation and joint pain. Studies are small but promising.
Blueberry Corn Muffins
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups corn meal
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 Tablespoons orange zest
2 whole eggs
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 cup milk of choice
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix dry ingredients plus orange zest in large bowl. Make a small “well” in the dry ingredients and in the center add the egg, oil, milk and yogurt. Start mixing all the ingredients until you have a smooth well blended batter. Fold in the blueberries.
3. Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 of the way with batter and bake for 20 minutes. Check to make sure they are done by inserting a toothpick in the center. If the toothpick comes out with batter on it, continue to bake until toothpick comes out dry.
4. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Enjoy!
Serving Size: 1 muffin
Nutrition Information per Serving: 239.9 calories, 4.5 grams total fat, 2.1 grams of saturated fat, 44 grams carbohydrate, 2.4 grams fiber, 6.6 grams protein, 747.3 milligrams sodium, 83.4 milligrams potassium, 11.8 grams sugar
Recipe adapted from: